Before we go into the facts about Spain, here is a brief over view of the country of Spain. Officially, the Kingdom of Spain, Spain is a European country located in Southern Europe. It is the second largest European country and its streets are lined with numerous bars and plazas, which help to keep the focus on the ancient city streets. Spain is rich in art and culture and the country features a lot of architectural jewels including Moorish fortresses, Baroque churches and Renaissance palaces.
Spain Fun Facts
1. Spain won its first World Cup football title in 2010, which made the country the 8th country to have ever won the World Cup title.
2. The word Spain really means ‘the land of rabbits.’
3. Spain was once one of the world’s most powerful empires.
4. Although Spain was under Moorish rule for 300 years and was a Muslim country, most Spaniards are Catholic (94%). Spain is also a secular state.
5. On May 15th all the single women in Madrid visit the chapel called Ermita de San Isidro to prick their fingers with pins and put it in a vessel, in order to find a husband.
6. Spain has the second highest number of bars per inhabitants, the only country that has more bars than Spain is Cyprus.
7. Another Spain fact is the legality of same-sex marriage in the country.
8. Another interesting and little known fact about Spain is although football (soccer) is the country’s main sports; team sports are not included in the school programs there. Therefore, the Spaniards have to join private clubs if they want to play any type of team sports.
9. España is the name that the Spanish call their country.
10. Another Spain fact is the country is Africa’s nearest neighbor.